Biti speaks on banned Bulawayo demos

MOVEMENT for Democratic Change (MDC) has said it will not back down despite the developments that government has declared a ‘de facto state of emergence’ against the people of Zimbabwe by continuously banning the planned anti government protests around the country.

MDC Vice President Tendai Biti said the Zanu PF regime keeps angering the people by banning planned protests.

This comes after police issued a prohibition order banning the Monday-scheduled MDC-led demonstration in Bulawayo.

Last week police banned an August 16 demonstration in Harare. The MDC had to approach the courts seeking to lift the police ban without success.

In an interview with the Zim Morning Post Biti said the MDC will, again, approach the courts.

It’s fascist. This regime keeps angering the people. There is no longer any avenue for dialogue. We have no other option but to seek the legal route,” said Biti.

Why is this regime afraid of talking to its people. We are being taken back to 1931. Demonstrations are constitutional rights but the Emmerson Mnangagwa regime is shutting the people out.”

This is fascism . There is now a defecto state of emergency in Zimbabwe where the regime has unilaterally suspended the Bill of Rights in the constitution.”

The Bulawayo banned demo comes on the backdrop of reports by the MDC leader Nelson Chamisa who warned the Zanu PF government last Friday that protests will continue despite the police bans.

MDC supporters engaged un running battles last Friday after the High Court dismissed the party’s urgent chamber application seeking the lifting of the ban.

Leave a Reply