President Emmerson Mnangagwa has created an eight member taskforce to address the recommendations and criticisms brought forward by the Motlanthe Commission of Inquiry into the August 1st post-election violence, last year.
The inquiry’s report was announced in December and it stated the military and police were largely responsible for the actions that resulted in six deaths and the injury to 35 civilians.
In a press briefing in the capital on Friday, the Minister of Legal, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs, Ziyambi Ziyambi said the government was not taking the issues raised by the inquiry lightly.
“Fair criticism and suggested areas of improvement are taken seriously because they can only make us a better democracy.
“Therefore, his excellency PresidentMnangagwa has set up an Inter-Ministerial Special Task Force,” Ziyambi said.
The Special Task Force will be chaired by Ziyambi and its deputy chair will be the Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Minister, Sibusiso Moyo.
Others included are Information and Publicity Minister, Monica Mutsvangwa, Minister of Finance Mthuli Ncube, Home Affairs Minister, Cain Mathema, the Minister of Industry and Commerce, Mangaliso Ndlovu, Minister of State for National Security in the Office of the President Owen Ncube and the Attorney General Prince Machaya.
Ziyambi said the task force would also look at the findings of the 2018 harmonised election observer missions.
Ziyambi said the Special Task Force’s terms of reference also include acceleration and “implementation of political, electoral and legislative reforms.”