Race track crash claims life of eight-year-old boy

0
196

A RACE TRACK crash at Bulawayo Motorsport Park Saturday claimed the life of a eight-year-old boy, while at least 10 — among them children — were severely injured. 

The crash occurred at the 34th lap of the 50th edition of the three-hour endurance race in Bulawayo.

The competing car veered off the track and ploughed into a crowd severely injuring at least 10, paramedics said. 

The eight-year-old, identified as Kelvin Kwangwari, who suffered severe head injuries, died upon admission to hospital.

At the point of impact there appeared to be no safety barriers, raising questions over the liability of event organisers to pay damages to the deceased and the injured.

However, officials who spoke to Zim Morning Post said they had done everything reasonable to provide safety for spectators at the event.

Our thoughts are with the families that lost their child and to all those that were injured,” said a Zimbabwe Motorsport Federation official who declined to be named due to the sensitivity of the matter.

“In so far as liability is concerned, it must be noted the children in question did not purchase a ticket to enter the arena, they breached the perimeter fence and at the point of impact were standing on the side of the track, at a place undesignated for spectators,” he added.

Leave a Reply