TROUBLED Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) Thursday failed to show up for the presentation of oral evidence before parliament, hours after the Confederation of African Football (Caf) delivered a hammer blow to the country’s aspirations to host its March 29 African Cup of Nations (Afcon) match at home.
The Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Youth, Sports, Arts and Recreation had summoned Zifa, along with Sport and Recreation Commission and Local Government ministry to give oral evidence on the state of sporting facilities and the recent ban by Caf.
Zifa did not show up.
Reached for comment, Zifa spokesperson Xolisani Gwesela told Zim Morning Post the association had requested that their appearance before the committee be moved to a later date.
It was unclear if the request had been granted.
At the same time sources told Zim Morning Post that Caf had on Wednesday sent an email to Zifa informing them them to name a venue for the March 29 Afcon match against Algeria.
The email was in response to Zifa’s last ditch effort to seek reprieve over the blanket stadium ban imposed on the country’s facilities.
This means Zimbabwe will have to play their international matches in neighbouring countries until further notice.
The outcome is likely to rock the Warriors plans ahead of their 2021 AFCON qualifier against African champions Algeria next month – with a neutral venue expected to be confirmed.