A six-year-old was electrocuted to death while sleeping on the floor in Zvishavane, in a room in which a refrigerator had water dripping during an electricity outage and on restoration of power, the minor was suddenly electrocuted, police say.
This comes as ZESA launched rolling power cuts across the country in a load-shedding schedule that currently sees residents going for over eight hours a day without electricity.
The power utility announced that Kariba Power Station will soon be operating at half capacity with electricity generation to be reduced to 358 megawatts down from 542 megawatts.
In a statement this afternoon, Zimbabwe Republic Police appealed to guardians to ensure that children sleep in rooms where electrical appliances are not nearby.
“The ZRP urges parents and guardians to step up measures to ensure the safety and security of minors whilst they are playing at home,” police said.
“A six-year-old was electrocuted while sleeping on the floor in Zvishavane, in a room in which a refrigerator had water dripping during an electricity outage and on restoration of power, the minor was suddenly electrocuted,” police said.
The law enforcement agency also raised alarm over the safety of minors following another incident in Southlea Park, Harare involving a minor but of a different nature.
“A three-year-old minor died when a tyre which he was playing with rolled down and fell into an unused well covered with grass,” police said.