Tsenengamu denied bail, court says former Zanu PF leader not safe outside bars
A Harare court on Tuesday denied former Zanu PF youth leader Godfrey Tsenengamu bail, ruling that the Government-critic was not safe outside bars.
Tsenengamu voluntarily handed himself over to the Zimbabwe Republic Police on Friday after months of being on police the wanted list.
While the action of handing himself to the police had shown he was not a flight risk, Harare magistrate Ngoni Nduna ruled that Tsenenengamu who is facing charges of inciting public violence ahead of the July 31 protest, needed the protection of police custody because his life is in danger if released.
State witness Detective Assistant Inspector Clifford Mugaviri had earlier told the court that Tsenengamu “approached the police because he had noticed some people following him day and night, so remanding him in custody will be good for his own security.”
Prosecutor Lancelot Mutsokoti had opposed bail arguing that Tsenengamu is facing a serious offence which could compel him to flee.
“The accused is facing a serious offence with a custodial sentence if found guilty. This might induce him to flee if granted bail,” said Mutsokoti.
“Our borders are porous with numerous unrecognised points and even if the accused person surrenders his travelling documents, he could utilise these,” he said.
The former Zanu PF youth leader who was represented by lawyer Harrison Nkomo of the Zimbabwe Lawyers for Human Rights, said the “state is denying him bail stating that he is yet to complete his mission post July 31 but journalist Hopewell Chin’ono, MDC Alliance deputy national chairman Job Sikhala and opposition Transform Zimbabwe leader Jacob Ngarivhume are facing the same charge but they are already admitted to bail.”
You may also want to read: