You are currently viewing Triple homicide suspect arrested in Mozambique

Triple homicide suspect arrested in Mozambique

Murder suspect Jaison Muvevi who shot and killed three people in Wedza and left a police office seriously injured has been arrested in Mozambique.

Police spokesperson Paul Nyathi said efforts are currently underway to bring him back to Zimbabwe to face trial.

The murder victims have been identified as Crispen Mubvana Kanerusine (62) of Zinzombe Village, Wedza, Inspector Maxwell Hove (43) of ZRP Wedza Camp and Munashe Mujanhi (20) of Mujanhi Village, Wedza.

Muvevi on Friday killed a church leader of the Masowe sect at a church gathering in Mukamba area in Wedza before exchanging gun fire with Marondera police.

A Marondera reaction team, comprising Inspector Hove in the company of Sgt Mutungambera Godwin, Cst Madziva James Simbi, Cst Dambanomweya Farai, Cst Manyika Emmanuel and Detective Constable Andara Webster and Detective Constable Mugova Tendai intercepted the armed man before exchanging gun fire.

The police approached the triple homicide suspect and when the accused saw that it was the police he pulled a pistol from his waist and fired some shots leading to an exchange.

During the shooting incident, the police firearm jammed and the armed man continued firing at the police officers.

According to a police memo, during this stampede of trying to escape from this firing the police lost one FN rifle and a pistol.

The other four police officers escaped from the scene and left Inspector Hove who was sitted on the passengers seat, Sgt Mutungambera who was the driver and Detective Constable Mugova who was hiding underneath the motor vehicle after he had been shot.

Sgt Mutungambera jumped through the window and kicked the accused person and managed to escape living behind Inspector Hove who was trying to open the locked passenger door.

The armed man approached Inspector Hove and shot him twice on the head.

Detective Constable Mugova who had been shot and left with wounds, was ferried to Mt St Marys hospital by a passerby Tafadzwa Chinyerere and was later ferried to Morris Depot Camp Hospital for further treatment.