SUSPENDED chief magistrate Mishrod Guvamombe’s application to be removed from remand was thrown out on Monday.
Guvamombe’s lawyer, Jonathan Samukange, had applied for his client to be removed from remand.
Samukange alleged the State was “creating stories” and had no case against Guvamombe, thus the unending postponements
Defense council it was no longer interested in getting another remand date, saying the State had been given December 5 as its last remand date, after which the trial would continue unobstructed.
Samukange said it was cumbersome for Guvamombe to be placed on remand each time he appeared before the courts for trial.
In dismissing the application by the suspended chief magistrate, the court said the trial could not commence, given that there was very little evidence available before it to allow for resumption of trial.
Guvamombe is on trial for criminal abuse of duty as a public officer.
The accused was arrested for offering Information, Communication Technology and Cyber Security minister Supa Mandiwanzira and former Local Government, Rural Development and National Housing minister Saviour Kasukuwere internships at the Harare Magistrates’ Courts.
The two are currently studying law at the University of Zimbabwe.
The case was remanded to January 20, 2020.