Chaos at Bulawayo City Council… as Mayor lifts Town Clerk’s suspension

By Bayethe Mhlanga

Bulawayo Mayor Solomon Mguni and his deputy Tinashe Kambarami, both from the MDC Alliance are at loggerheads after the former nullified Tow Clerk Christopher Dube’s suspension.

Bulawayo Mayor Solomon Mguni is away on study leave.

Dube was served with a letter of suspension in a dramatic and violent manner by Kambarami flanked by ward four councilor Silas Chigora.

Failure to deal with water crisis, misappropriation of ward retention fund as stipulated in the ward retention fund, abuse of office and failure to implement council resolutions were the allegations leveled against Dube on Thursday.

Writing from South Africa in a letter dated July 12, Mguni nullified Kambarami’s suspension on Dube.

“I am in the possession of your letter dated July 11 2019 in which you suspended the Town Clerk, purportedly in terms of Section 139 (3) of the Urban Council’s Act (Chapter 29, 15).

In order not to destabilize Council business I hereby lift the said suspension with immediate effect. I further direct the Town Clerk to furnish me with a comprehensive report on the allegations you have raised in your letter. The said report must reach my office within seven days of receipt of this letter.

By copy of this letter and upon receipt thereof, the Town Clerk m7ust report for duty with full salary and benefits. The Chamber Secretary shall cause Council to be advised accordingly. The special council meeting that was scheduled to take place today (July 12, 2019) is hereby deferred,” wrote Mguni.

The letter was copied to Minister of Local government, Public works and national housing July Moyo, the Town Clerk and Professor Welshman Ncube, the MDC Alliance Vice President.

In a video captured as Kambarami was serving Dube with the letter of suspension heard insulting Kambarami with unprintable words and accusing him of being a tribalist who suspending him based on tribal grounds.

Efforts to reach Kambarami for a comment were fruitless as his mobile phone went unanswered.