Warriors AFCON disaster: Govt mulls to set up a Commission of Inquiry

The government of Zimbabwe is mooting on setting up a Commission of Inquiry to investigate the nightmarish performance by the senior men soccer team popularly known as the Warriors in Egypt where the team had a shock early exit at the prestigious Africa Cup of Nations tournament, Zim Morning Post has learnt.

The Warriors only managed to get a point from a tournament in which they were expected to perform better.

The poor performance disappointed government and the citizenry compelling calls for the inquiry.

Unconfirmed reports suggest that money exchanged hands and there was a ‘third force’ behind the poor outing.

 “We are left with no option but to come up with a way forward to investigate what happened in Egypt .

“I strongly believe that money exchanged hands  and I can tell you this is ‘Egyptgate’  but we only fear that FIFA might say that this is tantamount to government interference so we need a proper plan to deal with this issue,” said a top official within the Ministry of Sports.

Football analysts raised alarm on why some individuals who were implicated in the infamous Asiagate scandal were close to the goings on in Egypt.

The Asiagate scandal brought Zimbabwe football to its knees.

“Some officials and journalists who were in the Asiagate scandal were part of the people who travelled to Egypt and if we look at how we failed to qualify to the knockout stages, one must smell a rat.

“It just raises more questions than answers therefore a Commission of Inquiry will answer all our questions,” added our source.

If any individual is found guilty for involvement in the alleged match fixing saga he/she faces a ban from any football activities and possible arrest and imprisonment for fraud/corruption.

“We know that we do not have a proper law to deal with issues of football fraud but in the event that anyone is found guilty they will be banned or put in prison on fraud or corruption charges,” our source revealed.

Efforts to get a comment from ZIFA hit a snag as the ZIFA Communications Manager Xolisani Gwesela was not picking his mobile phone while ZIFA president Felton Kamambos’ phone could not get through at the time of writing.