THE recent xenophobic attacks have robbed Zimbabwe of two nationals leaving a further 171 affected, government has said.
Speaking at a post cabinet briefing meeting in the capital on Tuesday, Minister of information Broadcasting and Publicity Monica Mutsvangwa said a total of 171 Zimbabwean nationals had been affected while two of them died.
Government plans to evacuate victims should the situation worsen.
“The Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Trade briefed Cabinet on the current xenophobic attacks on immigrants in South Africa. He indicated that a total of 171 Zimbabwean nationals had been affected, with two of them having lost their lives. Government is deeply saddened by this occurrence and is currently in the process of making arrangements to urgently repatriate the affected citizens back home.”
“Meanwhile, our Consulate in South Africa is engaging some international organisations for support to the affected citizens. Government continues to monitor the situation with a view to escalating the evacuation exercise should the situation deteriorate,” said Mutsvangwa.
SB Moyo said it is the duty of the government to protect its citizens wherever there are.
“It is our duty as government to protect our citizens wherever they are,” said SB Moyo.
Reports also claim that the government of Nigeria is planning to evacuate 640 citizens from South Africa after they were attacked in the mayhem.
The violence attacks were mainly targeting migrants.