I note with concern an ongoing effort by Mr Frank Buyanga Sadiqi to place false information in the media. Of specific concern are the two articles published by “Zimlive.com” on 24th March 2020 and by The Citizen on 25th March 2020. I was not contacted or interviewed by the authors and publishers of those articles before their publication. In that light I now set the facts and the record straight.
- I am the sole custodian of the minor child concerned since his birth. I obtained a court order for sole custody from the Children’s Court on the 29th May 2019 (CCA205/18). That order is an extant order and currently the only order regulating the custody of the minor child. Mr Buyanga’s contention that the order is outdated or has expired is based on an ignorant view of how court orders are varied or amended. His desire to corruptly use his personal relationships with senior police officials to arrest me, the custodian, for taking custody of the child betrays his failure to appreciate the law.
- This is not the first time he has made this false allegation, in 2014, after the Gauteng High Court ordered him to sign the 2 year old’s passport application form, he refused. The Sheriff of the Court signed in his place, I travelled with the child to Zimbabwe in terms of the court order (35102/2014) and returned to South Africa. At his instance he requested that I relocate to Zimbabwe in 2015. In 2016, Mr Buyanga invited us to his hotel in South Africa where he physically abused myself and the child, he threw us out and made us destitute before strangers offered us assistance. We returned home to Zimbabwe. On my return, he, as usual, falsely reported that I had kidnapped my own child. In most of his affidavits before the courts, Mr Buyanga swears to false statements which elsewhere would be a criminal offence.
- Mr Buyanga filed for joint custody (HC3971/19) in March of 2019, the matter was heard by Judge Zhou in July 2019 and a decision granting him joint custody was handed down on 19th March 2020. That order is currently suspended through an appeal I made to the Supreme Court on March 23rd 2020.
- Since the child was born, I have never denied Mr Buyanga access to the minor child. As compared to other fathers, Mr Buyanga has a generous access arrangement. In fact as of July 2019, Mr Buyanga was entitled to seeing his son on;
i. Alternate weekends
ii. Alternate public holidays and
iii. Half the school holiday
- In July 2019, in an application for variation of the above access arrangements he made to the Children’s Court, he was ordered (CCA205/18) to provide accommodation for the minor child. Instead of obeying the order, he refused to return my son to my lawful custody. He barred my son and the maid from communicating with me completely. During the 9 months without my son, I made several requests for access to my son, these were denied. Because he travels a lot, he left the 5 year old with the maid, ordering her to violate the court orders (HC5011/19 & 11865/19) relating to removal of my son from Zimbabwe without my consent and possibly advised her to lie to the police in an ongoing investigation regarding her recent travel.
- Mr Buyanga has previously abused and corruptly secured the help of many public officials in his harassment of myself, my son and family. Of particular note is the fact that at one point Mr Buyanga was driving around with at least 3 heavily armed police officers from CID Homicide threatening everyone who assisted me to defend my rights. Another example is the fact that Mr Buyanga routinely took our child to South Africa against two existing court order barring him from doing so with brazen impunity. In fact on some occasions, he did so with the aid of various corrupt government officials who offered him VIP treatment at Zimbabwe’s International Airports and immunity from Immigration and Customs regulations.
- Mr Buyanga has abused his access to senior public officials asking for favours and routinely offers to take care of their personal expenses in exchange. Some of them have now come to realize that his requests are often unlawful and sometimes criminal have decided to do the right thing and refuse. He has raised various official complaints against those he cannot corrupt. It is a wonder how someone implicated in many criminal activities has never been summoned to appear in any court of law. It is common cause that Mr Buyanga once escaped from Zimbabwe and was sought after by Interpol, it is also common cause that he only returned to Zimbabwe after Zimbabwe Republic Police was directed to ignore his crimes.
- More recently, he has made various allegations of association between myself and the First Family, specifically that I have somehow gained the active involvement of the First Lady Auxilia Mnangagwa, and her two sons who he alleges I am romantically involved with. I state here and now that I have never met the First Lady despite my efforts, she has never involved herself in my dispute with Mr Buyanga. I am not romantically involved with either gentlemen, and most certainly not with both of them. Mr Buyanga is a habitual liar and survives by it, his attempts to hoodwink the public are born out of desperation that he has not been able to capture and abuse the First Family. I extend my sincere apologies the targeted members of the First Family and I fully understand that they may not be able to respond publicly to these falsities.
- Throughout the court proceedings, in typical misogynistic fashion Mr Buyanga and his cohorts have accused me of having romantic or improper relations with a police officer, a magistrate and my lawyers. For the most part, this is his customary manner of intimidating people, ordinarily by name dropping the names of political figures as his connections. More recently, I objected to having a sixth matter between us heard by the same judge who was repeatedly assigned our cases, Mr Buyanga has made wild unsubstantiated reports to the Judicial Services Commission against judges who refuse to accept his bribes.
- Lastly, I urge journalists and publishers particularly those in state institutions, approached by Mr Buyanga to grant him audience but refuse any gifts and offers for consideration in exchange. I would further urge the media fraternity to investigate his facts and hopefully in the process, seek to hear both sides of the story. This may include granting audience to the victims of his housing scandal and the public officials involved in those investigations. CHANTELLE MUTESWA