Lockdown:Sekuru Banda gives senior citizens groceries,money

    0
    284
    Sekuru Banda

    Popular and wealthy traditional healer Sekuru Banda has thrown a lifeline to senior citizens in the period of the COVID-19 induced lockdown pronounced by President Mnangagwa.

    Sekuru Banda has on Monday handed over basic food stuffs and ZWL 1000 to senior citizens identified in Mbare.
    He has since asked other leaders in targeted communities to provide him with identified senior citizens list during COVID-19 lockdown.

    Sekuru Banda is making the donations in the company of health experts to coinscitise the targeted social group.
    He told this publication that he is using personal resources and assistance from international partners to fund this health and social intervention in the face of the deadly virus.
    The groceries and ZWL$1000 cash packages from arguably one of the Africa’s richest traditional healer — comprises of mealie meal,sugar,cooking oil and other basics

    Sekuru Banda said he also mobilized masks and gloves to distribute to those above 65 years of age throughout Zimbabwe.

    The Harare-based herbalist also urged other citizens to complement government efforts in the fight against COVID-19.
    “Following the announcement of the 21-day lockdown period to prevent the spread of Coronavirus we realised that most people would face food challenges particularly the elderly.

    “So together with my team we set out to provide food, masks and gloves to the most needy and vulnerable members of our society and that is the elderly people,” Sekuru Banda said.

    He said the initiative which commenced 10 days before the lockdown targetted senior citizens across Zimbabwe as the country enters day 3 under home quarantine.

    “Most of the beneficiaries are unemployed and hopefully the groceries will go a long way in mitigating hunger during the lockdown period,” he said.

    Sekuru Banda also applauded the Government for the stop-gap measures taken to combat the spread of the novel Coronavirus.

    He said he was in full support of the initiatives taken by Government to contain the outbreak of COVID-19.

    At present Government is working within World Health Organisation guidelines in handling the pandemic.

    President Mnangagwa said government had put all hospitals and health facilities on high alert for COVID-19 and consequently declared the virus a National Disaster.

    Government also banned public events, gatherings and encouraged social distancing..

    Sekuru Banda is one of the few individuals so far who have taken it upon themselves in curbing the spread of COVID-19 through various interventions joining big corporates such as Econet, African Medallion Group and African Sun Limited.
    One of the first beneficiary was Lucille Ayema (78) who resides at house number 133 Third Street in Mbare.

    Leave a Reply