Govt clarifies Harare, Bulawayo blockades

0
318

GOVERNMENT has clarified the reasons for the tightened roadblocks at roads leading  into the central business district in the past two days in both Harare and Bulawayo respectively,Zim Morning Post can report.

There were several conspiracy theories put forward,  on why police and soldiers were turning away citizens who were en-route to work.

Sensational suggestions were that it was enforcement of the National Day of Prayer and Fasting while others linked the blockade to the trial of MDC activists Joana Mamombe ,Cecelia Chimbiri and Netsai Marova.

In her post-cabinet briefing Tuesday, Information minister Monica Mutsvangwa put to rest the speculative claims.

She said the tightening of roadblocks was triggered by the sharp increase of COVID-19 confirmed cases and was in tandem with the Level 2 of the national lock-down which encouraged non-essential service providers to stay at home. 

“The President has announced that we are still at Level Two, which still prohibits big gatherings, beyond 50 people.

As much as our President has opened the economy to make sure that industry operates, we still have to make sure that we do adhere to the containment measures, otherwise the disease will spread. And we are still telling our people to stay at home, and only go out there when it is very important,” she said.

She said the developments in Harare and Bulawayo were recommendations of the National Covid-19 Taskforce.
“What the police is doing is in line with what the taskforce has put in place and we are all singing from the same hymn book, ” she further explained.

On Tuesday, the city of Bulawayo was a pale shadow of its self as police and soldiers turned away people back to the residential areas.

This also affected banks and other essential services prompting residents to seek answers.Meanwhile, four new cases of Covid-19 cases were announced on Tuesday taking the tally to 390 with 62 recoveries and four deaths. Over  9 000 returnees from 48 countries have so far been recorded since the outbreak of Covid-19.

Imported infections form the majority of confirmed cases giving rise of the need to boost security at quarantine centres.

Leave a Reply