ZIMBABWE striker Tino Kadewere who was shunted into mandatory quarantine on Thursday after arriving from France, could be allowed to give his brother, Prince, a befitting farewell tribute, as Covid-19 regulations allow him to attend the burial albeit under strict supervision.
Covid-19 Government Taskforce Chairperson Dr Agnes Mahomva said Kadewere who jetted in with his wife on Thursday after being given permission to travel to Harare by his French side Olympique Lyon, needed to have applied for a special dispensation before arrival.
Authorities were at the time of publishing still battling to secure the special permit which had not been applied for before arrival.
Kadewere’s brother, Prince, passed away Wednesday after complaining of chest pains, his family said.
“If you are coming for special circumstance like this one, burial, you are actually supposed to write to the Health and Child Care permanent secretary for that exemption, you don’t get exempted as such but they will ensure that all your papers are in place. They actually escort you to that burial to ensure they supervise you, to ensure that person doesn’t mingle,” Mahomva told state media on Friday.
Mahomva said after the burial, the said persons are supposed to return to quarantine to complete the mandatory eight days, at a government-approved facility.
Those released after eight days are still expected to self-isolate at home for the remainder of 14 days.
“They come from there and go back into quarantine. Stay there until they complete their eight days and then continue at home or come back from burial and go back straight to where they came from. That is the process,” she said.
Mahomva added that government would prefer a situation in which those who would lost loved ones and are outside the country, would allow their relatives to bury their family and then attend a memorial service when it is safe to do so.
“It’s better that people allow those at home to bury their loved ones and come later or they just stay in quarantine and then see where their loved ones were laid to rest. We need to contain this virus. It might sound insensitive but those are the realities,” she added.
The Warrior’s striker had been allowed to return home as he is not part of the Lyon squad which is in Portugal for their Champions League quarter-final against Manchester City slated for Saturday.
The free-scoring striker, 24, completed his move to the club when the registration deadline for the Champions League had already passed.