BULAWAYO– Deputy Mayor Councillor Tinashe Kambarami and Ward Four Councillor Silas Chigora who were jointly facing charges of assaulting the Town Clerk, Christopher Dube, were found not guilty of the charge.
Kambarami and Chigora were alleged to have assaulted Dube while serving him with a letter of suspension last month. They both pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Bulawayo magistrate Tinashe Tashaya acquitted the two following an application for discharge by their lawyer Maqhawe Mpofu of Samp Mlaudzi and Partners.
Tashaya said the State failed to present the case against the two councillors hence the court found no compelling evidence against them, adding that evidence given by Dube was unreliable especially when compared to the evidence given by his colleagues Tobias Dube and Makhosi Tshalebwa in their statements.
“The State is supposed to bring to the court any evidence even that which is damaging to it’s case, but favourable to the accused persons. This is prosecution not persecution. The evidence of the complainant itself was so incredible and unreliable especially when weighed against the evidence of Tshalebwa and Dube. I do hereby retain the verdict of not guilty and acquitted.” he said.
Meanwhile, Kambarami who appeared in court without his signature dreadlocks was alleged to have been abducted by suspected security agents on Saturday outside his residence and was assaulted and got his dreadlocks shaved using a broken glass.