PROMOTERS Association of Zimbabwe president Josh Hozheri has this week called on Zimbabwean music fans not to boycott the much awaited Mafikizolo concert in protest of xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
The concert is pencilled for Friday but hangs in limbo following calls to boycott in retaliation to the xenophobic attacks that has rocked parts of South Africa.
Music fans have embarked on a campaign to boycott the show citing that Mafikizolo is a South Africa music outfit.
The veteran promoter and music aficionado said while he does not condone violence, boycotting the show is not the solution.
“On behalf of the Promoters Association of Zimbabwe and my own behalf, I strongly condemn the killings of Africans by Africans happening in South Africa. We must respect life, we are one.”
“However as promoters we believe boycotting the upcoming Mafikizolo show is not a solution.
“Instead the show presents a rare opportunity to speak against the attacks on Africans by fellow Africans. People should come in numbers and speak oneness, we are one,” Hozheri said in a statement.
Hozheri went on to suggest that boycotting the show would not be good for local artists as they also frequent South Africa for similar engagements.
“We cannot boycott the show, that will not be good for a number of Zimbabweans who also play in South Africa.
“Macheso (Alick)was there last week, Bev, Selmor and Andy Muridzo will be playing there shortly,” he added.
He appealed to music fans to speak openly about the xenophobic attacks whilst embracing oneness and Africaness.
Hozheri also revealed that the concert promoters had agreed to donate a percentage of the proceedings towards victims of Xenophobia.
Mafikizilo are billed to perform at The Harare International Conference Centre (H.I.C.C) this Friday with a star studded line up of local artistes including Selmor Mtukudzi, Gemma Griffiths and Sulu Chimbetu as supporting acts.
Tocky Vibes, Andy Muridzo, Diamond Musica and Sasha Amadhuve are also expected to perform at the fete aptly dubbed ‘’Mafikizolo Back in Town Concert”.
Show organisers have promised tight security.
Meanwhile, South African musician Babes Wodumo made a retraction on Wednesday after she had posted a damning post on social media supporting the attacks.
She claimed that her account was hacked.
Interestingly, she is billed to perform in Zimbabwe at the Victoria Falls Festival.
The xenophobic attacks have divided African musicians sparking a war of words between Nigerian and South African artistes.